As Israel moves toward another election on 22 January 2013, a right-wing Israeli government has announced even more colonial expansion projects in recent days. To better understand the reasoning behind this move, you have to understand the relationship Israeli political parties have with the settlement enterprise and the overlapping political interests they share.
In the past, understanding the impact of the Israeli settlers on the vote in Israel has been somewhat difficult. Haaretz put together this tool to understand the vote in the last Israeli election in 2009. It helps to understand basic trends, but as you can see, it only includes information on voting patterns in two Israeli colonies, Ariel and Maale Addumim. However, over 120 Israeli colonies exist in the West Bank.
I searched for nuanced data on the 2009 election broken down by locality. The only data that exists is in Hebrew (I can't imagine why the Israeli government would want to place a language barrier between this information and the Western world) After translating, coding, and crunching, I've compiled aggregate and dis-aggregate data on Israeli voting patterns in the 2009 election by locality. This allows us to isolate the vote in the settlements and understand their impact. Below is a chart below that helps explain.
[Click to enlarge]
The chart above shows the major parties running for election in 2009. You can see three different categories: Settlers, Non-Settlers and Jerusalem. Since the Israeli government treats its illegally annexed municipality of Jerusalem as one entity, it is impossible to parse out voting patterns for settlements like Pisgat Zeev or Har Homa, including many others, which are across the green line but considered part of Jerusalem by Israel. Since this is Israeli government data, there isn't much we can do about that except for listing Jerusalem separately so as not to conflate Israeli settlers in Jerusalem with the non-settler vote.
The Israeli parliament, or Knesset, is a 120 seat body which the parties seek to control by winning a majority of the seats or by forming coalitions to create a majority. The parties which ultimately formed the next Israeli government after the elections in 2009 have (GOVT) below their names in the chart. A couple things are immediately obvious.
First, where voters live matters, especially if it is in a colony. Some parties perform far better or worse among settlers vs non-settlers. The Kadima party, for example, took the largest percent of the overall vote but a very small percentage of the settler vote. The National Union party took a very significant percent of the settler vote but very little of the non-settler vote. To be clear, the 650,000 Israelis living beyond the green line make up less than 10% of the Israeli voting population. That being said, in a parliamentary systems with multiple parties (34 ran in 2009) a significant edge among even this size segment of a population can tip the scales. Especially when there was near-parity between the Likud (the traditional right-wing powerhouse) and Kadima (what is today referred to in Israel as "centrist" opposition) in the non-settlement vote. The definition of "Centrist" in Israel today is significantly detached from the political/ideological spectrum and seems to mean "biggest party not called Likud". Thus, while the settler population is a small segment of the voting population overall, it is significant enough to change political trends and the stances of parties who must evolve to maintain political viable in an increasingly right-leaning state.
Second, almost every party in the government that was formed took a larger percentage of the settler vote than the non-settler vote. It should come as no surprise then that the Israeli Prime Minister and head of this coalition, Benjamin Netanyahu, declared, "There is no government that supports, or will support, settlement more than my government."
Netanyahu is right about the first part. His government is clearly the most pro-settler government in history. And, as the voting patterns show, there are clear political reasons for this; scratch my back and I scratch yours. This creates an incentive structure geared toward feeding the interests of those voters in return for loyalty (i.e. settlement expansion). This is part of a cycle, of course, because as settlements expand and settler populations grow, their role in determining Israeli politics increases.
But where Netanyahu is wrong is about the future, at least if voting patterns and demographic trends hold constant. It is very likely that future Israeli governments will support settlements more than Netanyahu's government does. Yes, that's right. Consider our next chart which breaks down votes won in Israeli settlements by the religiosity of those settlements.
[Click to enlarge]
Now consider this: the birthrate among all Israeli Jews is about three children per family. If that seems high, it is because it is driven up by the West Bank Orthodox Israeli settler birthrate, which is 7.7 children per family. Check out more details on demographic changes in this infographic. Overall, the Israeli settler population is growing about three times faster than the rest of the Israeli population.
Some "Liberal Zionists" might find this troublesome, but this was all part of the plan. The aim behind the settlement project was twofold. Not only did Israeli settlements in the West Bank create a geographic obstacle to a viable, contiguous Palestinian state, they also created a political obstacle as well. Both at this point have rendered the two-state outcome dead; given Israeli political dynamics, the Israeli government is not going to be willing to equally power-share in a one-state outcome until they face serious costs. As we've seen in recent weeks, Israel will continue to be isolated in a world that rejects this system but ultimately the system of Apartheid will collapse. But the incentives Israeli political leaders continue to face domestically have them flying full-speed ahead toward this collapse. We can only pray for the quickest, most turbulence-free trip on the way there and think about what we can do to expedite the process. Here is one place to start.



55 comments: on "Electing Apartheid: How the Settlers Impact the Vote in Israel"
Social Media Buzzer
Cara Membuat Paspor Online
Manfaat Mandi Pagi
Cara Cek Nomor HP Sendiri
Cara Transfer Pulsa
Jasa SEO Medan
Jasa SEO di Medan
Cara Pakai Tongsis
Gaya Pacaran Anak Muda
Cara Menurunkan Berat Badan
Gaya Foto Model
Gaya Foto Selfie
Gaya Foto Prewedding
Cara Menulis Cerita Fiksi
Manfaat Air Putih Untuk Kecantikan
Manfaat Air Hangat
Parfum Pria Disukai Wanita
Parfum Pria Terbaik
Kunci Jawaban Tebak Gambar
Jawaban Tebak Gambar
Tebak Gambar
Wisata Medan
Tempat Wisata di Medan
Transportasi Medan
Pelaruga
Kolam Abadi
Kuliner Medan
Tempat Wisata Kuliner Medan
Komunitas Medan
Berita Komunitas
Oleh Oleh Khas Medan
Tutorial Photoshop Untuk Pemula
Kunci Jawaban Tebak Gambar
Toko Roti di Medan
Cara Menjadi Barista
Cara Menjadi Kaya
Cara Menjadi Model
Cara Menjadi Ibu yang Baik
Tips Menjadi Penulis Hebat
Kopi Medan
Kopi
Pulau Siba
Daftar Film Bioskop Terbaru 2015
Gaya Foto Prewedding
Gaya Foto 2015
Dampak Negatif Merokok Bagi Kesehatan
This is an excellent post I seen thanks to share it. It is really what I wanted to see hope in future you will continue for sharing such a excellent post.
gaya
Cara Makan
Portal Kuliner
Komunitas Medan
Pancake Durian
Jersey Bola Grade Ori
Jersey Bola
Jersey Bola Grade Ori
Guru SEO
Wahyu Blahe
Perempuan
Portal Medan
Berita Medan
Cerita Medan
Nasution Rizky
Medan Heritage
Merdeka Walk
Foto Profil dan Biodata
Gaya Foto
i get new information, new ideas to do somethings, i hope you will share again, i keep waiting for next post, thanks. masters dissertation writing help
This wonderful post for you. I assure this would be beneficial for most of the people.
Jasa Iklan Facebook
Jersey Bola
This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. This is very nice one and gives indepth information. Thanks for this nice article.
Romance Bay
Pantai Romantis
This site is half the battle of the genus of the genus. It belonged to what was already a lot of it is not well suited for the life of the other... Motley Models
Situs Judi Poker
Shinchanpoker.com Agen Poker Dan Domino Terbaik Di Indonesia
Ipoker8 Situs Agen Judi Poker Dan Domino Online Terpercaya Indonesia
ituDewa.net Agen Judi Poker Domino QQ Ceme Online Indonesia
Agen Texas Poker Dan Domino Online Terpercaya Uang Asli Indonesia
Well I am not really an expert in politics. This area is not very interetsing for me. I am more interested in finding masters dissertation writing help online.
I haven’t any word to appreciate this post.....Really i am impressed from this post....the person who create this post it was a great human..thanks for shared this with us.
https://unoeurorabatkode.wordpress.com/
You are able to fix it. Prepare their own routine similar to precisely what is time for you to browse online and also time and energy to full their particular homework.
21 day fix
This post is really top notch, my friend. I have never seen such a beautiful post in my entire life. Thanks a lot for posting this fine post today. Cheers, mate!
21 day fix review
This post is really top notch, my friend. I have never seen such a beautiful post in my entire life. Thanks a lot for posting this fine post today. Cheers, mate!
buy youtube views cheap
I found your this post while searching for some related information on blog search...Its a good post..keep posting and update the information
buy youtube likes
Excellent blog here. It’s out-of-the-way quality writing. If truth be told I appreciate the people like you! Take care,.
coc hack
his is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the leisure here! Keep up the excellent work.
Unblock Brick Lego King Free
Nice to be visiting your blog again, it has been months for me. Well this article that i’ve been waited for so long. I need this article to complete my assignment in the college, and it has same topic with your article. Thanks, great share
Unblock Brick Lego King Free
Thanks For sharing this Superb article.I use this Article to show my assignment in college.it is useful For me Great Work.
Belanja di Elevenia Gratis Voucher 1 Juta
Thanks For sharing this Superb article.I use this Article to show my assignment in college.it is useful For me Great Work.
Belanja di Elevenia Gratis Voucher 1 Juta
I am happy to find your distinguished way of writing the post. Now you make it easy for me to understand and implement the concept. Thank you for the post. stamped concrete ma
chromecast setup
At the point when your site or web journal goes live surprisingly, it is energizing. That is until you understand nobody yet you and your.
chromecast ios
I have been researching every aspect of a possible career move. This post is very helpful and shows that you have a lot of knowledge on the topic. Do you have any others?
clash of clans new dark troops
I would be exceptionally appreciative in the event that you proceed with quality what you are serving at this moment with your blog.
decorative concrete nh
I am get amazed after saw this post.. It is very informative to all.. Thank you very much for this info and keep going....
recommended stamped concrete in ma
best-custom-essays.com offers help with nattive essays :)
I am currently teaching a class and part of the curriculum involves this subject matter. Do you have any other posts I can look at regarding this?
Watch Movies Online
I have been studying this topic for a long time. You have provided great information in your post and some things I have not seen in other content I have read by others.
tammysbedding
I have been researching every aspect of a possible career move. This post is very helpful and shows that you have a lot of knowledge on the topic. Do you have any others?
www.superbsweaters.com
I am doing a report on this subject. Your article is full of really useful information. I will make sure to come back to check out your posts for my next report. Cheers
my website learnhowtolapdance.org
I have found this article very exciting. Do you have any others on this topic ? I am also sending it to my friend to enjoy your writing style.
my website learnhowtolapdance.org
Very efficiently written story. It will be useful to anybody who employees it, including me. Keep up the good work – can’t wait to read more posts.
buy instagram likes
Nice to be visiting your blog again, it has been months for me. Well this article that i’ve been waited for so long. I need this article to complete my assignment in the college, and it has same topic with your article. Thanks, great share.
Photography
Your approach to this post is unique and appreciating. I am writing an article for our research paper and this post has helped me. Thanks.
21 Day Fix
You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story.
happy new year 2016 wishes
Thank you for posting such a great article! I found your website perfect for my needs. It contains wonderful and helpful posts. Keep up the good work!
voucher
Nice to be visiting your blog again, it has been months for me. Well this article that i’ve been waited for so long. subway surf hack android I need this article to complete my assignment in the college, and it has same topic with your article. Thanks, great share. clash of clans hack apk
Your approach to this post is unique and appreciating. I am writing an article for our research paper and this post has helped me. Thanks.
minion paradise hack
This is an excellent post I seen thanks to share it. It is really what I wanted to see hope in future you will continue for sharing such a excellent post. fifa 16 hack android
Your site contains useful information on this topic as I am working on a school project. Thank you posting relative information and its now becoming easier to complete this topic. darkness reborn hack android
I Feel Bad Israel. People Do cast vote but did not get for what they have voted.
I had problem in Set up Chromecast but also fixing it. I saw that is already expected. They need strong leadership.
I have found this article very exciting. Do you have any others on this topic ? I am also sending it to my friend to enjoy your writing style.
blossom blast saga hack
Thank you, I've been seeking for info about this subject matter for ages and yours is the best I have discovered so far.
enablersinvestment
Much appreciated a whole lot for this extraordinary article;this is the stuff that keeps me experiencing out these day.
dowry section 498a
I have bookmarked you to check out new stuff of your blog. A must read!!!!
angel investors india
I agree with your blog and i will be back to check it more in the future so please keep up your work. michael kors outleti love your content & the way that you write.
look here
I like the way you are spreading these information here. It feels good when someone put so much efforts in doing some great stuff.
Free Images
Good Morning Cartoon Images
Cartoon Images HD
Frozen Pictures
Sorry Images For Boyfriend
Happy Easter
Happy Easter 2016
Happy Easter Wishes
Happy Easter Images
Happy Easter Quotes
Happy Easter Poems
Happy Easter Greetings
Happy Easter Status
Happy Easter Wallpapers
Happy Easter Whatsapp Status
Happy Easter SMS
Happy Easter Shayari
Happy Easter Cards
Happy Easter Sunday
Happy Easter Monday
Happy Easter Pics
Happy Easter Photos
Happy Easter Songs
Happy Easter Gifts
Happy Easter Eggs
Happy Easter Bunny
Happy Easter Mesages
Easter
Easter 2016
Easter Wishes
Easter Images
Easter Quotes
Easter Poems
Easter Greetings
Easter Status
Easter Wallpapers
Easter Whatsapp Status
Easter SMS
Easter Shayari
Easter Cards
Easter Sunday
Easter Monday
Easter Pics
Easter Photos
Easter Songs
Easter Gifts
Easter Eggs
Easter Bunny
Easter Mesages
b b fgnnghmjm
I like viewing web sites which comprehend the price of delivering the excellent useful resource free of charge. I truly adored reading your posting. Thank you
Kartikeya Sharma
Grosir Topi Distro
Grosir Topi Jaring Distro
Grosir Snapback
I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own BlogEngine blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it.
Expresorojofc
I truly adored reading your posting. Thanks to share.
Godaddy Coupons 2016
Hostgator Promo Codes
Fatcow Promo Codes
Snapdeal Deals
Venuekings Deals
Jabong Coupon
Zivame Deals
Amazing Article.
Your blog provided us with valuable to work with. Each & every tips of your post are awesome. Thanks a lot for sharing. Keep blogging..
Trailing plant ideal for baskets and containers
I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well.
Assignment Help
Apakah anda sudah mengetahui apa saja objek wisata yang ada di kota banyuwangi yang terkenal dengan sebutan sunrise of java tersebut? Sebenarnya objek wisata di banyuwangi sangatlah banyak, namun dari sekian banyak tersebut ada salah tempat wisata yang sangat fenomenal di kalangan para traveller yaitu wisata kawah ijen dengan pesona api birunya. Jika butuh jasa paket wisata kawah ijen banyuwangi dengan harga yang murah maka baca selengkapnya disini.
Jika anda membutuhkan transportasi di kota malang batu maka silahkan pesan di AKFA TRANS yang menyediakan beragam jenis mobil yang disewakan dengan harga yang sangat bersahabat bagi para traveller. Akfa Trans merupakan perusahaan yang bergerak di bidang jasa rental mobil malang dengan tarif murah. Sewa mobil malang tersebut menyediakan mobil avanza, xenia, ertiga, innova, splash, wagon r, elf short, elf long dan hiace. Untuk nomer telepon dan alamat dari kantor Akfa Trans sewa rental mobil malang baca detailnya disini.
Rental mobil malang di Akfa Trans memang tidak bisa lepas kunci, jadi sewa harus sekaligus dengan sopirnya. Dan pastinya sopir yang disediakan disini sudah sangat profesional dan berpengalaman di bidang rent car malang. Tarif sewa mobil malang di akfa trans berkisar antara 375rb-850rb tergantung jenis mobil yang akan disewa. Untuk info booking online rental mobil di Akfa Trans baca infonya disini.
Pernikahan merupakan hal yang paling ditunggu dan merupakan moment special seumur hidup bagi pasangat yang saling mencintai. Jika anda butuh sewa mobil pengantin di kota malang dan surabaya serta kota jogja maka bisa kunjungi website rental mobil harian dot com yang menyediakan jenis mobil pengantin mewah dan tentunya eksklusif banget. Info sewa mobil pengantin tersebut bisa lihat selengkapnya disini.
Apakah anda sedang mencari perusahaan sewa mobil surabaya yang menyediakan penyewaan mobil elf short dan elf long? Mobil elf short berkapasitas antara 12 orang – 14 orang. Sedangkan mobil elf long berkapasitas antara 18 orang – hingg 21 orang. Harga sewa mobil elf short di surabaya 850.000 rupiah dan sedangkan harga sewa mobil elf long di kota surabaya 950.000 rupiah. Untuk info pemesanan dan booking online sewa mobil elf di malang lihat infonya disini.
Mobil avanza memang menjadi mobil terlaris yang disewa oleh orang-orang yang ingin berwisata di kota malang batu. Kenapa sewa mobil avanza di malang ini sangat laris? Selain irit, mobil ini juga sangat simpel dan lincah jika dibandingkan dengan jenis mobil yang lainnya. Mobil avanza ini hampir serupa dengan mobil xenia. Tempat menyewa mobil avanza di kota malang batu klik selengkapnya disini.
I have download chromecast. Can i cast this app with my iphone to TV
wow, great, I was wondering how to cure acne naturally. and found your site by google, learned a lot, now i’m a bit clear. I’ve bookmark your site and also add rss. keep us updated.
21 day fix
Post a Comment